Our current facility began as West Sparta Elementary School, which opened in 1948. Five acres for the school were acquired from Lester and Mada Allen for $6,000. The heirs of T.H. Fancher sold an additional 2.9 acres to the City of Sparta for $2,500. The school functioned for nearly 40 years, closing in 1987.
In 1990, Mayor Bob Breeding and Vice-Mayor Margaret Pearson led the way in transforming the original building of West Sparta Elementary School into the City of Sparta Recreational Center. The original gymnasium was left and is still used by the YMCA.
On March 24th, 1992, Jack Franklin signed the charter which made the Sparta/White County Family YMCA officially validated to function under the name of the YMCA. Through the transition, the City of Sparta continued to own the building. Our partnership with the City of Sparta has been crucial to our success.
Over the next 30 years, with constant fluidity among the Board of Directors, Directors/CEO's, and staff, one thing has remained the same: a constant loyalty to serving our community.
To glorify God by empowering our community to reach its fullest potential in mind, body, & spirit.
To lead as a positive catalyst for our community by providing quality services that promote lifelong growth for all.
Strengthening our community is our cause. We exist to create value for our community. Values come alive through service in 3 areas: